ClojureBridge Workshop Overview
Thank you for joining us.
The audience for these workshops is diverse, so we provide a range examples and projects to help you do something you can relate too. This does of course mean that there is more content than anyone can cover in one day.
You should have a Clojure environment set up from our event on Friday evening. If you missed this, please get in touch with a volunteer to help you get setup.
Outline for the day
The morning covers the language syntax of Clojure, so you can speak Clojure to your computer, along with some of the core concepts of thinking functionally.
- Simple values (numbers, characters, strings)
- Assignment (naming things)
- Collections of values
- Flow Control flow
- Challenges or Projects
- Celebrity Name Smash - string manipulation: subs count, take, str, lazy sequence, apply, reduce
- Most common word - find the most common word in a book (not including common English language words, like 'the')
- Clacks messages - simple encoding & decoding of messages, thinking about data structures: maps (key value pairs), get, map reduce (extension of the map reduce sandwich)
Explore your own solutions to the following challenges
How far you get is how far you should have gone
There is more content here than anyone can cover in a day, so however far you get is the right amount of progress for you.
If you enjoy the day you can of course continue with any topics and challenges you didn't get to as follow-on exercises.
We also welcome you to come along to the London Clojurian community events